Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

This is cool!

I started out in journalism with a new electric typewriter, the only one on my dorm floor. Here I am, exactly 30 years later — a newspaper editor with a laptop and a blog.

I'm no expert at this blog stuff. Ask my son, who first defined the term for me. But here I am, dipping my toe in the scary waters of weblogging. I'm the first to try this in our newsroom, and if all goes well, I'll have some company here.

Like Editor's Notes, my column in the Tracy Press, this is where I'll offer spontaneous commentary about the newspaper, why we do what we do and what we think about it. With this blog, I hope you'll join the conversation.

Let me know what you think!

- Cheri

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doin' just fine Cheri. Lookin' GREAT!

Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to hear about the changes in norms or standards since you studied journalism in school. Also is there a New York Times "style" verses say a San Francisco Chronicle or a AP "style"?

From Cheri: Thanks for writing! You've given me two good topics for future columns. For the first, I'd have to say that technology has brought so many changes. Terms like "computer-assisted reporting" and the Internet didn't exist when I was in school.
Laws governing access to information have also changed over the years. And we talk about ethics in ways we didn't before.
Your question about "style" refers to the stylebooks that newspapers use to guide the language so it's consistent, in terms of spelling, punctuation, grammar, abbreviation, capitalization, hyphenation and use. Most newspapers, including the Tracy Press, use Associated Press style, in addition to in-house style guides that have terms that aren't in the AP stylebook or that follow different rules. Both the Chron and the NYTimes have their own stylebooks, but they also use AP style.

Anonymous said...

Looks good, mom.

Posted by: Joey at September 19, 2005 05:17 PM