Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

An obit for a dog

This is a first for us. An obituary submitted for a dog. As much as I love dogs, our obituary section in the Tracy Press is reserved for people. However, I sense that this was one very special bassett hound whose family is grieving. So here's his obit here, written by his family in Tracy.

Steve Warn
Sept. 1, 1994 - Oct. 6, 2005
Steve Warn passed away at home surrounded by the family that loved him. He was a best friend to Aaron Taylor, Mike, Kathy and Daisy. He loved peanut butter toast, short walks to roll in smelly things and having his belly rubbed. He will be missed and never forgotten.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you did this.

Anonymous said...

In my years of ministry, I discovered that the most profound grief could be experienced at the loss of a pet. At first I was surprised and then my own dog died and I understood. I agree with Tonya. Thanks.

Posted by: Mike McLellan at October 13, 2005 04:44 PM

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the first comment, I love that you did this too. I had a dog named Candy, many years ago, and I still miss her!

Anonymous said...

I am pleased to hear that you are trying to make some positive use of BLOGS. They are, I fear for the most part, devoid of facts which helps hide the truth vs spread the truth.

I propose a test of this new communication/journaistic tool of yours. How about bloging the current local issue of math curriculum. The story ran Thursday and I have been bringing the issue up to the school board the last 4 meetings.

If you think this would be an effective use of blogging, I volunteer to send a link to all the math teachers in the school district. You could of course promote the public input via the regular means.

Advise you interest.
Your devoted reader,
Wes Huffman
6th-grade teacher

Anonymous said...

I recently heard a report about people who were "ungoogleable" and thought I should see how I rated. Imagine my surprise when I found this posting. Indeed, the hound and I have much in common (weirdly, I had peanut butter toast for breakfast right before logging on...)

Steve

Posted by: Steve Warn at October 18, 2005 07:42 AM

Anonymous said...

It would be cool to have a Pets Blog, with doggy obits from time to time. It could showcase the pets from the pound, too. I bet it would be pretty popular if you got someone really creative to write/make the blog. Or a group of high school volunteers...I'd do it if I was in Tracy!