Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Pretty picture but no alfalfa field


One of our photographers went out Tuesday for a photo of an alfalfa field to illustrate a story about the affect of rain on farmers' crops.

How do I know it's alfalfa? he asked.

"Look for lots of green, clover-like grass," I told him, promising to check it when he got back.

He came back with lots of green, but the flowers were white. Alfalfa has purple blossoms. I know. My husband has grown alfalfa for our horses for several years. Of course, he's the farmer, not me.

The photographer went out again, ever diligent. This time I stressed purple flowers. And he came back with purple. Trouble is, I didn't look at the photos again until I saw one in Wednesday's paper, with a cutline identifying the field as alfalfa.

It could be lupine among some wild grasses, but it's not alfalfa. Are we such city folks that no one noticed?

Comments



Alfalfa, lupine, wild grass, heck it was all green to me. Why didn't you ask me something easy like take a picture of an airplane? I always get the hard assignments!


Posted by: Glenn Moore at April 13, 2006 11:22 AM



No, you weren't the only one that noticed, but I didn't want to say anything — especially since Bob grows alfalfa!! LOL


Posted by: rzellmer at April 13, 2006 02:37 PM



Close enough for me! Nice pic. Glenn, I like your Our Town features.


Ahh, but you are going to get those nastygrams from the farmers! They are already up in arms about us cityfolk attitude towards them, and rightly so I think.


Posted by: Jim Freeman at April 14, 2006 12:12 PM

No comments: