Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Horoscope homesickness

It's been two weeks since we dropped the daily horoscope from the Tracy Press. We dropped several other features at the same time to make more room for news, and we added a weekly horoscope, which runs in classifieds on Tuesdays. But it's the daily horoscope that's generated the most calls.

I plan to take a close look this week at those responses. I have to admit surprise. At the risk of alienating dedicated readers, I'll admit that I consider the horoscope to be space-filler. I believe in all sorts of things, from UFOs to global warming, but I don't give credence to horoscope writers who tell me that I'll have unexpected good luck today or that I need to exercise discretion. They say I'm a sensitive but tough Taurus. Duh! Isn't everybody?

I'd like to hear directly from daily astrology readers. Do you miss Horoscopes by Holiday? Was it the first place you turned in the newspaper? Should we bring it back?