Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Hubris, Wi-Fi and "community character elements" in 2005

Just read this on SFGate: Hubris is the word of the year, just as it could have been 24 centuries ago.

The Greek term for "excessive pride or self-confidence" was chosen by 41 percent of 2,300 SFGate readers who participated in an online poll. "Disaster" finished second.

My word for '05 is Wi-Fi. Not only is it a new listing in the Associated Press stylebook for wireless networking, but when I got my laptop and started traveling to other towns where we now own newspapers, Wi-Fi in offices and coffee shops became my lifeline.

I noticed other words dropped into conversations for the first time this year: intelligent design, insurgency and Katrina, God rest her soul.

Locally, streetscape was bantered about, as downtown roadwork continued in 2005. The term identity theft became more mainstream as more people experienced it. And Community Character Element, in the vernacular of Tracy’s new General Plan, found its way into numerous news stories. Who coined that mushy mouthful?

My favorite dictionary site lists the most-looked-up words of 2005, including xenophobia and ubiquitous. Now those are great words.

Word Spy lists fun words that plugged into vocabularies in 2005, such as podcasting, vodcasting and podcatching.

Pupperware and puggle are words worth looking up, if you're a dog lover like me.

Meanwhile, with this wicked wind in Tracy today, the satellite on my roof may go the way of my lawn furniture, which means my Wi-Fi will die and Mother Nature will get the last word.

So blogmates, send your words of the year and feel free to take over this conversation!

Hi Cheri,
Hubris is a great word, I'll add it to my vocabulary. Have a great new year!

Posted by: Ed Gable at January 3, 2006 02:32 PM


No comments: