Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Sudoku, anyone

A reader recently wrote this tiny note at the bottom of a survey she returned to the Tracy Press:
"Can you add Sudoku to the paper?"

I wondered when readers would start to ask for this newspaper puzzle, a brain game (pronounced soo-doe-koo) that's been described as the "Rubik's cube of the 21st century."

I read that some Chicago White Sox players competed in Sudoku between games in the World Series to get their minds off baseball.

I've also heard it's addictive — just fill in the grid so that every row, column and 3X3 box contains the digits 1 through 9.

What do you think? Should we should add it to the paper? Would you play?

Universal Press Syndicate is selling a puzzle that's called Kakuro, described as a cross between a traditional crossword and Sudoku. Just like Sudoku, you fit the numbers 1 to 9 into a grid of squares so that no number is repeated within the defined area. And just like a crossword, there's a grid of filled blocks and clues to solve.

"A Kakuro player's best tool is logic," according to Universal. "Similar to the logic used in Sudoku, you'll also need a bit of math, because in Kakuro, there is a second hurdle: Not only must the numbers not repeat within a clue run, they also must add up to given totals — these totals replace the word clues found in a traditional crossword."

Here's what USA Today has to say.

To check out the samples: Universal Press Syndicate.

The Sudoku puzzle that King Features Syndicate offers for newspapers runs every day and gets harder toward the weekend.

Posted by cmatthews at December 11, 2005 12:09 PM

Comments

Cheri,
I read your blog and yes — add Sodoku.

I buy the Valley Times every morning when I get to work for the daily Sodoku.

Have you tried one yet?
Tom

Posted by: Tom at December 14, 2005 05:40 PM

Hi:
Yes, please add Sudoku.

It is definitely addictive. I'm already playing the crossword in the Tracy Press every day but have to get my Sudoku on line.

I've not tried Kakuro yet, but it sounds great too.

Cynthia

Posted by: Cynthia at December 15, 2005 07:52 AM

Cheri,
My Mom, daughter and I were on a trip to Norway this past summer, and our tour guide had the whole bus play Sudoku, fastest finisher winning a prize. My daughter Stacey won! She loved the game so much we had the guide sent us these puzzles by mail. When Stacey saw this first in the Stockton Record, she was so excited. Please put it in the Tracy Press. I'll save them for her to do when she comes home from college.
Maybe you could challenge the high school students in a contest of some sort like the tour guide did.

Posted by: Carolyn at December 15, 2005 09:08 AM

Given the choice between the traditional crossword and Sudoku or Kakuro, I would still choose the crossword. I like Sudoku. Can you do both? I am not familiar with Kakuro.

Posted by: Alegra at December 15, 2005 09:11 AM

Yes, I would like to see Sudoku and Kakuro in the Tracy Press. Don't know if it would be daily, but that would be the best way to go

Posted by: Gene at December 15, 2005 09:47 AM

I would love it if we had this puzzle in the paper!!

My mom got me hooked on them. She and her friends are all addicted to it. The 60+ crowd is like that, I guess. You can't control them. ha ha.

Thanks!
Denise

Posted by: Denise at December 15, 2005 09:51 AM

Yes, please add Sudoku, and we will play it.

Posted by: Lynn at December 15, 2005 10:57 AM

PLease add Sudoku. My 8-year-old granddaughter and I play the easy ones together. Her confidence level and problem-solving skills and reasoning have grown so much from the first puzzle to where we are today, and this has carried over into all aspects of her life. It also is a great vehicle to bond a wonderful relationship.

Crosswords are great, but they can't forge what I now have with my granddaughter because of her age knowledge bank and skill level in relationship to mine.

Posted by: Julie Galeazzi at December 15, 2005 12:12 PM

My vote is for SUDOKU! But I wish you had put an example of Kakuro in the paper because I'm not sure how the two differ.

Also KEEP the traditional crossword puzzle, of course.

Posted by: Amanda at December 15, 2005 02:20 PM

Oh, I didn't read your whole blog. Kakuro actually seems cooler now...

Posted by: amanda at December 15, 2005 02:22 PM

I've been hooked on Sudoku since September and have added several friends and students to the "addicted" list. It would be terrific to have it daily in the TP — but then, or course, at our house we would have to go without clean clothes, scrubbed bathrooms, a mowed lawn, dinner any time soon! But it would be worth it!

Posted by: Karen Tietmeyer at December 15, 2005 06:48 PM

I vote for Sudoku.

Posted by: Alicia at December 16, 2005 06:54 AM

I love this puzzle! Please add my name to the list of those who would like to have it appear in the Tracy Press (and if you could include strategies that would help us novices, that would be even better!).

Posted by: Barbara Noble at January 9, 2006 10:08 AM

hi, if you're into kakuro you should check this online kakuro version

Posted by: online sudoku at February 23, 2006 07:03 AM

You guys are the 22615 best, thanks so much for the help.

Posted by: Caty Tota at August 14, 2006 06:47 PM

No comments: