Comments on all things journalism and answers to questions from readers about news coverage and operations at the Tracy Press.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Another word of the year

Somebody asked me recently if he was going to be "plutoed." Huh, I asked? Then I saw the same word when I read that the American Dialect Society chose its word of the year — plutoed.

To pluto is to "demote or devalue someone or something." Remember what happened to the former planet Pluto last year?

I like it! We'll see if this word appears in the Tracy Press sometime soon.

By the way, the American Dialect Society chose "truthiness" last year as its top word, which Merriam-Webster declared as its 2006 word of the year a month ago.

Other words considered by the society of wordsmiths: murse (man's purse), flog (fake blog) and macaca (an American citizen treated as an alien).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it worry anyone that our National Word of the Year is a made-up, new-fangled word that has poofed from thin air? Perhaps we could call them 'phords' which by definition means "phony words." Or 'thair words' is kind of catchy also; thin-air words. What ever happened to all the ol' classics like 'veracity?' Words that the
coommon man agrees mean something weighty and important. Not esoteric words that only a few Groovy-Tuesday folks know about cause they're 'in the know,' don't ya know?

Now I'm all about having fun with a turn of the tongue, but I hope we aren't getting too cute for our own communicative-good.

Perhaps on second thought, the criterion for winning this esteemed honor, is that the word must be new and fangled. Trendy even. What are the rules, I
wonder? Is there a category for old faithful words? I wonder if we’ve plutoed the King’s English?

Cheri said...

Cheri,
On your ongoing blog topic of words. I found this on the Online Photographer Blog. I have never heard of this term ever, but I find it interesting.
gkm

Blog: The Online Photographer
Post: Hosing the Doris
Link: http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2007/01/hosing-doris.html


From Cheri:
Hosing the Doris. That's a new one for me! Of course, we don't many celebrity females in Tracy., unless you count our councilwomen or Assemblywoman ...